Friday, January 23, 2015

Spoiled and Happy

I am.  I'm very spoiled.  I expect all manner of wonderful things from my darling husband.  36+ years have taught me that he'll do things for me that many other husbands don't do for their wives.  Not that we compare in a "na-nanny-boo-boo" kind of way, but wives do talk about their marriages and husbands.  

This business of being spoiled really shouldn't surprise anyone.  My sisters accuse me of being spoiled and my friends long ago agreed that Richard does too much for me.  

What's a girl to do?  Tell him NOT to be sweet and kind and thoughtful?  No, not, nada.  Instead, I just spoil him back and try to keep up in the thoughtful department.

Really this post is about something I read thanks to a FB friend.  You know how people love to "recommend" some article or whatever that they found on a different website?  I have several friends who love to share.  I might click on half of the sites. This is one about dating (like I'm into that!) and how chivalry is not dead, entitled "9 Chivalrous Habits Of A True Gentleman That Make Women Melt."

Being spoiled, I was curious about what I might be missing. These are the nine habits and a few ways that Richard spoils me.

1. Opening doors
Richard does open doors, but he also remembers to lock the door when we leave the house.  All I have to do is pull it closed behind me.  Yes, I’m always the last to walk out.  No, he doesn’t complain.

2. Saving the last bite of food
Admittedly, he doesn’t do this often.  However, he does serve my plate of food before he serves himself.  Okay, I serve him, too.  It turns out that whoever gets to the table first takes care of the other one--that's just our way.    

3. Spending time with your family
Not only does he spend time with my family, Richard did what he could to help care for both of my parents, and not just during their illnesses.  Together we made the decision years ago to remain in Louisiana and care for our parents.

4. Suffering through a girly movie
Yeah, but I have seen a few guy movies in my day….keep in mind that we raised three boys.

5. Sending flowers
Richard does, but the best gift I ever received from him was the year he replanted a complete rose bed for my birthday.

6. Walking on the outside of the sidewalk
That, plus watching for traffic at crosswalk and in parking lots and any other safety deal he can conceive of.


7. Kissing your forehead
Richard’s a sweetheart, so he kisses my forehead, holds my hand, hugs me in public, winks and blows kisses on the sly.

8. Filling up your gas tank
The last time I put gas in my tank was in early summer.  He “forgets” about once a year just so I remember how nice it is.

9. Putting your jacket on
In his defense I rarely wear a jacket, but he helps the granddaughters, especially the little ones to button up and put their shoes on, so yes, he pretty thoughtful.

To all this I would add one more sweet thing that my hubster does: he leaves me love notes.  Sometimes the note says only "Love You,"--like the sticky note he left in my classroom closet while helping me over the holidays--sometimes it's much more, but always it's wonderful to receive.

Would I be spoiled?  Oh, yes, definitely.  I'll be the first to admit it, but it can't be helped since he spoils everyone--the children and grandchildren, his parents (as he did mine), and anyone else he can.  I guess he just can't help himself.  

No comments: