Monday, January 19, 2015

Modern Monday -- Rain Clouds

A week or so ago I posted "Sunday Quilt Inspiration: Rain" and it inspired me to start thinking about how I could use some of the many blue scraps in the scrap bin.  The problem is that I have many more to go.  At least I've begun working on using a few.  For fun and contrast, I tossed in a few fabrics in the brown/beige family.



I cut the larger pieces into small squares and began stitching them together to make "fabric."  This I squared off into almost the same size blocks.  While I wanted them squares to fit together easily, I also wanted a more organic look.  




After making seven fabric blocks, I chose a light gray background to connect them all.  At some point I decided that I needed two more blocks, but I really wanted them to look different than the others.  Enter the open face block, which is basically just a rectangle of background fabric encircled with strips of blue.



It's not finished, of course, and I could still make a few changes. It's no surprise that I had only a half day to work on it, but it's well under way, and I have a plan for quilting it.  Hopefully, I'll be able to finish the top tomorrow after work.



I'd love to see it loaded onto the long arm in a day or two.  That would be pretty awesome, and maybe I can figure which way is up.


Linking up with

8 comments:

Sue C said...

What an awesome way to use up your scraps. I love how the blocks are uniform and yet abstract overall. And the open blocks were a stroke of genius - exactly what the top needed. Great job!

Nicky said...

Don't think it matters which way is up! All ways perhaps? Looks great and is a fabulous scrapbuster! Many thanks for joining the #scraptastictuesday linkup

Christine L said...

FABULOUS and I love the Modern

Pasqualina this & that said...

Thank you Mary for your comment on my WIP. I like your blue/brown blocks! The open face blocks are a great idea and add interest. Keep going!

Karen S said...

Great way to play with your scraps. You quilt is looking good and I like the name too.

Kaja said...

What a creative way to use your scraps. I love the variation in your blocks.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Thank you for linking up to Let's Book It.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Great use of your scraps.. I love the blue/brown combo! Linda