Monday, September 1, 2014

Sunday Quilt Inspiration: M O S A I C

While Richard has been working on the house, I've been planning a few little touches of my own.  I've not been able to do much since school is taking up the majority of my time, but the three-day weekend affords me a little window of fun.  

Tomorrow I'll make a "runner" in the foyer.  We are putting porcelain tile in the living areas, so I plan to use up the trash pieces that are broken or too small to create a mosaic section. Hopefully all will go well and I'll have a few decent photos to show you.  In the meantime, I thought you'd enjoy my inspiration--Pinterest pictures, of course!

An old table was made over with a sea glass mosaic. The table top was spray-painted white first, then sea glass pieces were adhered with clear glass adhesive, finished off with pre-mixed grout. By Lisa of Uppercase Living, via Pinterest.

This site has step by step instructions on how to add a mosaic to a table top.

Paper Mosiac

Natasha jewel #glass #mosaic in Iolite, #Lapis Lazuli, #Blue Spinel, Coveliite, and Feldspar jewel glass. #tile

Springfield Project mosaic ~ by Amanda Anderson and Johanna Potter

Artist?

Underneath Mosaic by Dyanne Williams

Theresa Hollmeyer

Glimmer Glass Mosaics (Jacqui Ridley and Morrine Maltzman)

These last ones have been especially helpful.  I was struggling with how to fit the pieces together.  Because the photos are closeups I've been able to view that much better.

By Laurel True with the 2014 Mural Making Class at the Institute of Mosaic Art

By Laurel True with the 2014 Mural Making Class at the Institute of Mosaic Art

It seems that translating this idea of mosaics to quilting would be somewhat easy.  Until you see some of the quilts that I found!

I saw this amazing quilt at Festival of Trees--it looks like a stained glass window!

It is hard to believe that this is a quilt!  Art Quilts at the International Quilt Shows  -  Travel Photos by Galen R Frysinger, Sheboygan, Wisconsin

Inspiration. Quilt from the Tokyo International Quilt Festival by Fumiko Nakayama

This amazing mosaic quilt was hand pieced (using English template piecing) by Albert Small in the 1930's.  Mr. Small was an explosives handler at an Illinois quarry with an obvious talent at piecing!
by Michael Sweere. Mosaic-tile like application of collage pieces. This could be done in a paper, glass or ceramic medium. [Would be a great way to use broken pieces of pottery from kiln accidents :-D]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really like the tree mosaic! A. Fogleman