Sunday, September 14, 2014

Sunday Quilt Inspiration: B U T T O N S

Here's a repost of a 2013 Sunday Quilt Inspiration.

I'm working on a quilt inspired by a few of my grandmother's buttons.  My mom gave them to me many years ago and I've kept them all this time.  I can't bring myself to use them because they may be lost, so they serve more as a memento of her than as buttons normally do.  A few days ago I saw a quilt on Pinterest that I decided I wanted to replicate.  
Image © Love Patchwork & Quilting  Cute as a button! Applique Quilt by @Kate Mazur F. Jones

Well, I can't replicate anything.  The moment I begin working, I start making changes.  Before I realized it, the only thing that my quilt had in common with the Pinterest quilt was that I was still sewing fabric buttons.  In no time I was thinking of that plastic bag of my grandmother's old buttons.  I pulled it out and looked for unusual specimens.  They are pretty much basic 1960's button salvaged from all manner of clothing, but I was inspired by the colors, shapes and designs.   












I thought that you might be inspired by a few buttons also.  You don't have to make a quilt exactly like the one I started with.  People have used buttons to make many different projects, so I thought I'd show you a few.  Maybe one these projects will inspire you.  Just be warned: for some of these, you'll need boxes of buttons!


I love this idea, especially because it looks more like a piece of art than as a globe. It can also be done using a styrofoam ball, and tons of studs (seeing as I always seem to lose one of the pair).


Super-pretty button bracelet... lots of color schemes in the Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/listing/70959466/sterling-silver-and-antique-mother-of

Ideas for recycling those buttons we get with shirts etc we purchase that just get thrown in the drawer & never seen again.

Love Buttons http://www.unitednow.com/product/2905/hygloss-bucket-o-buttons.aspx

48c68add21f36eac098bc81afed35b8a.jpg 396×600 pixels  Free Wire Name Information.  http://www.own-craft-business.com/?hop=megairmone  FREE NAIL ART INFORMATION  http://www.nailtechsuccess.com/nail-technicians-secrets/?hop=megairmone  More Fashion At   WWW.THEDILLONMALL.COM

This would be cute told hold Alana's jewelry on.

Not just any pillow: a ring bearer's pillow!
Vintage Ring Pillow: The buttons are so cute!   http://weddings.theknot.com/Real-Weddings/84937/detailview.aspx?type=3&id=84937

Buttons

Love these earrings.
vintage buttons turned earrings ~ great idea!

Buttons on a plain sweater or sweatshirt. I might have to do this.

Buttons

So, now a few button quilts, because why not?

patchwork buttons

Cute as a Button quilt

Fabric covered button small quilt.  Could be done with yo-yo's too.

Have a lot of wonderful buttons and looking for a way to showcase them?   A Button Quilt!

cute

Happy Quilting,
Mary

No comments: